Monday, April 12, 2010

FemIssue: Toward a healing place

Today at Feministing.Com, I read a heartbreaking post from a woman who was living a very painful memory; the anniversary of a rape she suffered at her stepfather's hands.

As I read her post, I felt her pain so acutely; I also felt rage on her behalf, and a strong desire to do something.

What can I, an erotica author, do about the problem of rape and domestic violence? I've written briefly about the effects of these crimes in some of my books, including Mauve Christmas, Song of the Vamp and Behold the Beauty. I also did a charity booksigning once on behalf on Sunrise Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Center, an excellent organization that does great work in my area.

I try to do all I can, but it never seems like enough. Not when I'm constantly reading stories like the one I read today.

Beyond being an outlet for women's erotic entertainment, I want FemPower to be an agent of change and healing, hence the name. Regularly I'll be posting resources and fund-raising opportunities and resources, and I encourage our readers to do the same.

FemPower is not only a fun place, but a sharing place, a place of healing. Let's make it a good one!

Love,

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment